Other Recycling Options

Residents and non-profit, educational, and religious institutions may bring their recyclables to the Conservation Center during its regular hours of operation. 

  • Free Recycling Drop Off (No Permit Required)

    All residents can recycle the following, free of charge and without a permit:

  • #5 Plastics: Residents can now bring clean #5 plastics (polypropylene) to the Center. Some common examples include bottle caps, as well as containers for yogurt, cream cheese, and other dairy products. 
  • Books (hardcover, paperback, or textbooks in good, readable condition)
  • Cardboard (must be dry)
  • Christmas trees
  • Clothing/shoes
  • Curbside recycling items
  • Food waste: Food waste can be delivered to the bin in any type of packaging, excluding glass containers and black plastic bags. The food waste will be turned into biofuel to help power the Rahway Valley Sewerage Authority. All types of food waste are acceptable, including dairy, fruits, grains, meats, seafood (except shells), and vegetables. This program is being launched in partnership with Waste Management, a leader in converting food waste into a bio-fuel that creates green energy.
  • Fluorescent light bulbs (straight tubes only)
  • Household alkaline batteries
  • Household electronics
  • Leaves (free during the fall leaf season)
  • Plastic bags/film (includes bubble wrap, case overwraps, dry cleaning film, newspaper sleeves, plastic bags, produce bags, resealable bags)
  • Plastic toys
  • Styrofoam (includes white clean foam, furniture/appliance packaging foam, and block form foam; note that egg cartons, food service foam, peanuts, or dark-colored foam are not accepted)
  • Scrap metal
  • Tennis balls 
  • Wine corks

  • Fee-Based Services (No Seasonal Permit Required)

    • Household bulk waste - $40 fee per carload
    • Mattresses - $25 fee (depending on size)
    • Single-use permits for bulk waste and mattresses/box springs can be purchased online

Household Special Waste Collection

The County of Union holds "Household Special Waste" collection days periodically during the year to collect materials such as batteries (rechargeable and button only), fluorescent bulbs, oil based paints, pesticides and herbicides, caustics, gasoline, tires, and motor oil for safe and proper disposal. Go to the County of Union website for the schedule and locations of special collection days.

Recycling Guide

Businesses and institutions need to refer to the County of Union Recycling Guide for information about their recycling obligations and options.


Please consider donating furniture or appliances in very good, clean, usable condition to an organization that assists those in need, such as Furniture Assist, Goodwill Industries, and the Salvation Army. GreenDrop Charitable Donations welcomes gently used clothing, kitchenware, small appliances, tools, and toys.