Tree Preservation Plan & Tree Removal Application
Chapter 29A of the Code of the Town of Westfield
Definition of Tree
Any deciduous or coniferous species which reaches a typical mature height of at least 25 feet and a typical mature trunk diameter of four inches or greater, measured 4½ feet above ground level; and is 3 inches or greater in trunk diameter, measured three feet above ground level, at the time of filing this application.
When a Permit Is Required
Under the following circumstances, no tree shall be cut or otherwise removed from any lands located in the Town of Westfield unless a Tree Removal Application has been approved and a Tree Removal Permit based thereon has been issued by the code enforcement officer:
- Where property is being developed and requires subdivision or site plan approval;
- Where town trees are to be removed (provided that applications for removal of such trees shall only be made by the adjacent property owner(s));
- Where properties that contain existing dwellings or structures that will be removed or demolished to facilitate the construction of a new or replacement building or buildings within the next one year;
- Whenever two or more trees, in the aggregate, having a diameter breast height of 8 inches or more are to be removed from a property over a 6-month period;
- Where a tree is over 16 inches diameter breast height
Is a Site Plan or Subdivision Associated with This Application?
If no, go to Number 1 below and skip Number 2. If yes, skip Number 1 and go to Number 2 below.
- Number 1 - If no site plan or subdivision is involved, applicant shall submit one (1) copy of an accurate sketch of the entire property showing the species, approximate location, and trunk diameter of all trees with a diameter breast height of 6 inches or greater and indicating which trees are proposed to be removed. The sketch shall be accompanied by a full explanation of the reason(s) why removal is proposed. The fee for this permit is $50 payable by check only to the "Town of Westfield" and must accompany the completed application.
- Number 2 - If a site plan or subdivision is involved, applicant shall submit 10 (ten) copies of a Tree Preservation Plan prepared by a licensed engineer, landscape architect, land surveyor, or architect, indicating the proposed location of roads, lot improvements, and existing trees. The fee for this permit is $500, payable to the "Town of Westfield" and must accompany the completed application. See the reverse side for the list of details required to be included in the proposed Tree Preservation Plan.
Information Included in Tree Preservation Plan
In addition to indicating the proposed location of roads, lot improvements, and existing trees, the Tree Preservation Plan shall also contain the following information as may be applicable:
- A description of the premises upon which tree removal is to take place by street address and town Tax Map lot and block number
- The size of the lot upon which tree removal is to take place
- A survey of the species and quantity of trees which are to be removed, setting forth the location and type of each tree having a trunk diameter breast height of 6 inches or more
- Specific proposals for replanting or reforestation, if applicable
- A description of the type of tree removal project (i.e. thinning, selective cutting, clear cutting, or aesthetic improvement cut and barrier devices to protect remaining trees)
- Location of streams, watercourses and wetland property
- Location of slopes greater than 10% where any tree removal is proposed
- Identification of any grade changes in excess of six inches around trees to be saved
- Identification of all tree protection measures that the applicant will take, including the erection of silt fencing, construction fencing and tree preservation fencing
For Additional Information
Please contact Margaret Paszinski, Engineering Administrative Assistant, with any questions.